Attorneys in the firm’s employment group help public and private employers navigate the legal challenges of the modern workplace. We develop workable solutions that position the employer to avoid litigation and be prepared to successfully defend legal disputes when claims arise. This includes:
- Assistance in compliance with all federal and state employment related laws including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Title IX of the Educational Amendments, I-9 compliance, Consolidated Omnibus Budget and Reconciliation Act (COBRA), and other employment related statutes.
- Advice and counseling on employee relations and personnel matters generally and individual employee discipline situations with the intent of avoiding litigation or unionization
- Assisting in the implementation of reductions-in-force, violence in the workplace and other difficult problems confronting the workplace.
- Assist employers in development of personnel policies and procedures, job descriptions, employee handbooks, drug and alcohol testing programs, and other human resources communications and programs.
- Advice regarding compliance with state and federal wage and hour and prevailing wage laws, including the classification of individuals as independent contractors or employees as exempt or non-exempt.
- Negotiating and drafting executive and employee employment contracts, which often include protections for the client's intellectual property rights, trade secrets, and confidential information, protecting against unfair competition through non-competition provisions